1. Pick one or two social media platforms to use.
It's not necessary to have them all. Add more when you're more comfortable. Use what you already use; whether it's email newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Pinterest, Instagram or the multitude of others.
2. Engage anyone who engages you.
If people like your page or posts, thank them. If someone comments, either reply or thank them.
3. Try to ALWAYS include images.
People will stop to read something 80% more if there is an image attached.
4. Keep your personal life posts separate from your brand posts....
...unless, that's the kind of brand you have. Or, unless the personal life event is relative to the topic of your brands persona.
5. Beat, beat, beating your followers over the head with sales pitches will get you tuned out faster than posting photos of your dinner every night.
Honest. (I personally like food pictures, especially if it's homemade.)
6. Make your posts easy for your audience.
If you say "Check out this link." There needs to be a link attached. If you say, "Find me on Facebook by searching my name." most will not put forth the effort.... just add the link.
Check your spelling; correct your spelling, even afterwards, and by all things holy, DON'T USE ALL CAPS!